Greek Baklava from Margarita Kolaras and her husband.
I have a friend her name is Margarita who lives in Sunny California. Margarita is a very friendly and kind Russian Lady. I met Margarita recently through Instagram and we are now writing back and forth almost every day as we share many common interests and hobbies. One of them is cooking. Margarita’s husband is a great cook. He was born in Greece and has an understanding of Greek cuisine. He shared this recipe with Margarita and she is making it now quite often. Margarita was very kind to share now this delicious recipe with us.
This is the original recipe that this beautiful couple sent to me:
“This recipe of BAKLAVA (that is how the Greeks call it) is really easy to make. My Greek husband really enjoys it))
Sugar (brown or white) -1cup
Water- 1/2 cup ( even less)
Vanilla (extract) -1tsp
Lemon- 1/4cup (optional)
1. Take a package of filo dough out of your refrigerator and let it stay outside while you’re preparing the filling for your Baklava.
Turn on your oven for T 350F
In a small bowl mix the nuts, sugar, cinnamon. Melt butter.
Put filo dough on a baking sheet and cover it with a damp towel.
Using a brush butter the baking form and start working with your filo dough.Take one-two filo sheets and butter them fast .Repeat the same with other filo dough sheets.
2.When you’ve used one half of your filo dough , spread the filling (nuts and sugar mix) on a a filo dough sheet and cover it with another filo dough sheet again.
And continue working with your filo the same way and butter it till you use all filo dough sheets.
3. Brush melted butter on the top of your Baklava. Lightly cut with small pieces.
And put your baking form into the oven.
Bake for about 15 minutes and the reduce the temperature till
T =325-300F. Then let your Baklava bake for 30 minutes more or till it gets brown on the top.
4. While your Baklava is baking in the oven prepare the sauce for it:
Boil sugar and water until sugar melts.
Add vanilla, honey and lemon.
Simmer your sauce for about 20 minutes
5. Take your Baklava from the oven and pour the sauce on a hot Baklava.
6. Let it cool down. It is better to serve you Baklava in a few hours.Cut the Baklava with pieces and..enjoy it!
Margarita thank you to you and your husband for sharing this great recipe with us!!!